Jed

silverlion

Staff member
Very pleased he is still with us. Some talk on here that his goal celebrations against Blackpool were a swan song. I wasn’t convinced. For me he wears his heart on his sleeve and gets completely overwhelmed with himself when he scores. I also think that he loves the crowd and enjoys all the adulation. He is a very important player for us and we would be been deep in the brown stuff if he had left in this transfer window. I don’t think GR expected him to go. There didn’t seem to be any whispers or rumours that another club was sniffing around. Rich Cawley is a good and reliable source for rumours and there was absolutely nothing from him.

I wonder whether he is just staying with us to see how things develop this season? He has nothing to lose by seeing it out with us. If he scores some decent goals and they propel us into the play offs then who knows what might happen. If he has a poor season and doesn’t get to double figures then nobody might be interested in him and he might sign the contract we have offered. He has said himself that regardless of the contract situation he will give his all for us, and you can’t ask more than that.

The last half a dozen games of last season he played as a two up front with Bennett. Maybe GR sees him more in that role than playing wide, especially as we now have Ojo. I know this is a revolutionary idea but could you see us playing 4-4-2 with Jed and a Benik up front? Interesting days ahead.

We have missed Bennett ,will be like a new signing if he comes back and plays like he did last season , him Ojo and Jed all starting games I cannot see unless Jed is given a free role as a second striker and we go 3 or 4 at the back ,Mahoney can't get a game ,I would tug Jed off and put Mahoney on late in games 80min ect ,I think he would be better than Jed as that 2nd floating forward. plenty of options in the squad yet he sticks with 5-3-2 , 4-3-3 would be my system and change as required , still missing a no2 that is not a Southend lge one hoofball player es man .