Huddersfield v Millwall match thread

Shocking performance today but not really surprised. We lost against these lot last year and were equally poor. Too many today had an off day. We missed Hutch and Saville surprised he didn't start. There was no voice out on the pitch today. We were also out batled and out flight which is unacceptable I would play Shackleton at RWB much better on the ball and gets forward and can tackle. I think Danny Mac needs a rest he was woeful again today. Onwards and upwards to a tough game wednesdsy against Brum.

Probably as poor as I’ve ever seen should have lost 6-0
But we didn’t, we lost by 1 goal, and a fluke one at that!

Yes, they had lots of corners and goal mouth incidents, but they never capitalised on them!

Would it really have made much difference to the end result, had Hutch played today instead of Cresswell?

Isn’t the problem more about the midfield and the forwards having a poor game, and not being able to get to the final 3rd and scoring through open play?

I genuinely believe that GR needs to get someone in who can sort out the team’s mindset! I mean, how is it we can beat Middlesbrough (who were 4th from bottom when we played them), and go on for a further 3 game winning run, against better opposition than a weaker, bottom of the table side like Huddersfield?

The players should have gone into this game feeling like they were on top of the world, and believing that with a four match winning run behind them, they could beat anybody!

Why can’t they do that?

Last edited:
Textbook situation... why is it when Millwall are within striking distance of making an impact in the league, we lose against sides that are struggling. Really don't know why we didn't smash this in the way we have been recently.

Honestly was anyone surprised by today's performance and result?
Surely, playing on for another ninety minutes after they scored should have been more than enough time to reorganize a response from the management, and players, against the bottom of the league team. They all need to take a serious look at themselves, and their approach to this match.
A bad day at the office is understandable, but requires attention if it is not to be repeated.

Having just seen the 'highlights',
Tyler should have buried that late chance instinctively. No excuses.
Long should have done better,but we've see Bart do the same.
George Seville only a sub? Midfield weak and out numbered without him.
Bradshaw needs the ball at his feet, not over his head to be effective.
Mason Bennett is under rated by GR, only player prepared to take the ball and the game to the opposition. A team looking for a win would have started him.
Shackleton, Flemming and Voglsander, all too lightweight to be effective in our present team. Good ball playing individuals, but not part of the team play.

Would it really have made much difference to the end result, had Hutch played today instead of Cresswell?
Quite possibly, he's a vocal leader plus Cooper is half the player without Hutchinson along side him. Cresswell is a good player with the ball but an awful defender, was always going to be a weakness. We missed Murray Wallace cause he could have covered at centre back.
I genuinely believe that GR needs to get someone in who can sort out the team’s mindset! I mean, how is it we can beat Middlesbrough (who were 4th from bottom when we played them), and go on for a further 3 game winning run, against better opposition than a weaker, bottom of the table side like Huddersfield?
They're human beings, not robots. Consistency wins you leagues, you have to have the players that can perform week in week out, we don't and we;re not on our own. We beat Boro at home, they weren't very good that day, following week they win 4-1 away! Were not a very good away side, Huddersfield, have decent home form. a defeat was the most likely outcome regardless of the performance.

Mason Bennett is under rated by GR, only player prepared to take the ball and the game to the opposition.
I'm fairly confident that he does not underate him, he's managed him before and brought him here.

A team looking for a win would have started him.
This is why Rowett manages a football club and the fans don't. Hindsight is wonderful. Bennett can't do 90 minutes, he has to be wrapped in cotton wool and managed correctly. He, like Burey is most effective coming on when the oppo is tiring. If he started and limped off Rowett would be blamed for that too.

Bennett never started against Boro, we won, nor against West brom, we won, nor Bristol city away, we won, he never even got on the pitch for that one. We've played 17 games, Bennett has given us just over 200 minutes on the pitch, the equivalent of two games plus injury time.

I'm fairly confident that he does not underate him, he's managed him before and brought him here.

This is why Rowett manages a football club and the fans don't. Hindsight is wonderful. Bennett can't do 90 minutes, he has to be wrapped in cotton wool and managed correctly. He, like Burey is most effective coming on when the oppo is tiring. If he started and limped off Rowett would be blamed for that too.

Bennett never started against Boro, we won, nor against West brom, we won, nor Bristol city away, we won, he never even got on the pitch for that one. We've played 17 games, Bennett has given us just over 200 minutes on the pitch, the equivalent of two games plus injury time.
Agree with some of what you say. We know he can't do 90 mins. We know that he needs careful management by GR. But none of that means he can't start and help us score/win, rather than only get on when the chips are down. He did ok starting against Watford. He's a good player and it's not like we are over blessed with left sided attacking midfielders. I don't believe my comments were made with hindsight, more a reflection on the Managers approach to the match.

But none of that means he can't start and help us score/win, rather than only get on when the chips are down.
I agree, but when he does start he's not fit enough to start the next game. He played the first hour v Watford but wasn't fit enough when needed next. The physio's and fitness team tell the manager how many minutes an injury prone/ unhealthy player will give them in each game.

He tends to have more to offer when players are tiring so it makes perfect sense not to start someone that could pull up at any given moment. If we hadn't lost this wouldn't even be a topic. the managers shit would still smell of roses.

I don't believe my comments were made with hindsight, more a reflection on the Managers approach to the match.
See above.

Bar one or two, the team performance, desire and belief was non existant, it happens, even to the best, with or without a player that you can't build, plan for or rely on, we had an off day,that's football.