GR's post match interview

mfcjohn

He seems quite happy with the 1-1 scoreline, so nothing new, but he also said he had a go at the players at half time, that's fair enough as the first half was not good enough, he goes on and pointed out to the team that Billy was the only player worth a damn in the first half.

Now I'm not saying billy didn't play good, as he did, but is it right for the manager to put Billy on a pedestal during the half time team talk, and why make that news public knowledge, is he trying to keep the fans onside as he knows he is under pressure from the crowd now.

If Rowett is publicly shaming most, if not all, the team (without actually naming certain players), then I can’t see this ending well for him! All it will do is alienate the players against him, and once the manager loses the dressing room, the players will be the winners, and Rowett will be gone!

Play well you can dropped to the bench but others can keep getting picked even if playing crap week after week. What’s the incentive if whatever you seem to do has no bearing on the selection for the next match. There seems to be no consistency in formations and player partnerships whether that be in defence, midfield or attack so they don’t build an understanding. He still does not seem to know his best starting 11. When we got Saville back I thought great an attacking goalscoring midfielder that’s a crack at the playoffs but he’s played out of position and has not been firing so surely Leonard should start there but Leonard ends up at right back ahead of Danny Mac. With other managers we’ve had (apart from hollowhead) I could sort of see what we were trying to achieve but not with Rowett. Start matches with 442 and adopt the normal play well stay in the team, play crap sit on the bench.

If Rowett is publicly shaming most, if not all, the team (without actually naming certain players), then I can’t see this ending well for him! All it will do is alienate the players against him, and once the manager loses the dressing room, the players will be the winners, and Rowett will be gone!
Hopefully 👍

IMO: For me it's clear that when teams put our players under pressure when they have the ball then they tend to panic and make mistakes. As the game goes on they cannot keep that pressure up and we start to have more time to play. It's not about formations. I cannot understand why our manager can't see that because the opposition managers certainly have.

Until the players can perform the basics like passing the ball to another team mste,no hapless hoofs up field & when able to go forward with & without the ball to create more chances. We allow teams far to much time on the ball and with the big hole in the middle of our midfield they have a field day running at our backline, are our midfielders / defenders being told not to close down before they reach our penalty box ?, This tactics make shit teams look good,GR get a video of Gregory games....May not have been the greatest scorer but his closing down & winning dead balls was the best I have seen

Until the players can perform the basics like passing the ball to another team mste,no hapless hoofs up field & when able to go forward with & without the ball to create more chances. We allow teams far to much time on the ball and with the big hole in the middle of our midfield they have a field day running at our backline, are our midfielders / defenders being told not to close down before they reach our penalty box ?, This tactics make shit teams look good,GR get a video of Gregory games....May not have been the greatest scorer but his closing down & winning dead balls was the best I have seen
Thing is mate we can do it. We have had some beautiful spells of football & ended up sticking it in the net.

Our biggest problem is consistency. However, that starts at the top.
If the manager isnt consistent, the players wont be.

He seems quite happy with the 1-1 scoreline, so nothing new, but he also said he had a go at the players at half time, that's fair enough as the first half was not good enough, he goes on and pointed out to the team that Billy was the only player worth a damn in the first half.

Now I'm not saying billy didn't play good, as he did, but is it right for the manager to put Billy on a pedestal during the half time team talk, and why make that news public knowledge, is he trying to keep the fans onside as he knows he is under pressure from the crowd now.
He was spot on to point out that Billy was the only player to show any bravery in the first half and throughout the game. Equally nothing wrong with a manager telling senior pros that a youngster is the only one showing quality and to go public with is comments.

He is spot on that we are edgy at home and our away performances prove that. The sooner the haters arms get off the players and managers back the better.

A Millwall crowd can work for you and also against you, that’s how it’s been for many a decade and that won’t change anytime soon.

9th in the table, 1 point off the play offs and it’s only November 7th, isn’t a bad position to be in.

COYL

He was spot on to point out that Billy was the only player to show any bravery in the first half and throughout the game. Equally nothing wrong with a manager telling senior pros that a youngster is the only one showing quality and to go public with is comments.

He is spot on that we are edgy at home and our away performances prove that. The sooner the haters arms get off the players and managers back the better.

A Millwall crowd can work for you and also against you, that’s how it’s been for many a decade and that won’t change anytime soon.

9th in the table, 1 point off the play offs and it’s only November 7th, isn’t a bad position to be in.

COYL
Yes he was right that Billy was doing well, my point was, should he have made this public, and did he only make this public to keep the fans onside.

Yes he was right that Billy was doing well, my point was, should he have made this public, and did he only make this public to keep the fans onside.
I didn't read anything into the interview other than GR praising the performance of a very talented young player coming through the ranks. Letting the fans and public know that he appreciates the efforts of one of his players creates 2 things - 1) boosts the confidence of that player and 2) creates an environment in a team that good performances get recognition.

In my opinion, its a good thing and about time we started being more straight with how things are going at the club.

1-1 against a fighting Derby team is not the end of the world and 9th in the league is still very good for us. Keep the faith (for now).

I didn't read anything into the interview other than GR praising the performance of a very talented young player coming through the ranks. Letting the fans and public know that he appreciates the efforts of one of his players creates 2 things - 1) boosts the confidence of that player and 2) creates an environment in a team that good performances get recognition.

In my opinion, its a good thing and about time we started being more straight with how things are going at the club.

1-1 against a fighting Derby team is not the end of the world and 9th in the league is still very good for us. Keep the faith (for now).
Fair enough

I just thought the way he did it was not right.