GR Contract

Online it says that his average stay at a club is 1.6 years but the is no mention of his contract or when it is up for renewal.

hes already outlasted his stay if his average is 1.6yrs. id be shocked if he hasnt got a contract signed beyond end of season. Club wouldnt wait this long to renegotiate - cant see him being sacked as much as people want

Get rid, no passion. In over 50 years of supporting the lions its the worst, i know we have had bad coachs before but this clown as ruined the heart of the club. HE came to the club after being sacked at both previous clubs and installed a labouring negative team and type of play.

People say to me who can weget to replace him ffs, theres jobless mangers out there and my pick would be sean dyche if he became avaiable

Up this June i think.
Whilst I’m not Rowetts biggest fan and I won’t be losing any sleep if he went, my post was a little tongue in cheek.

But I’m surprised the club has allowed his contact to run down to the last 6 months.

Surely if they wanted to keep him, they would have offered/ given him an extension by now?

New manager on the horizon? or just the clubs/boards lack of business brain?again?

I'm not a fan of Rowett. But he has cemented us as a mid table side. He has played some of the youngsters of late, which I wanted, hope that continues.

However, this transfer window, with Jed on his bike - is huge for how Rowett's reign with us pans out. He has made the right noises regarding some decent business, freshening the group up, but we hear similar bollocks every window and all I hear are bids being rejected.

I think this may be the window that makes or breaks him here, although expect a real turnover of players in the summer, regardless of who is manager.

Get rid, no passion. In over 50 years of supporting the lions its the worst, i know we have had bad coachs before but this clown as ruined the heart of the club. HE came to the club after being sacked at both previous clubs and installed a labouring negative team and type of play.

People say to me who can weget to replace him ffs, theres jobless mangers out there and my pick would be sean dyche if he became avaiable
I would like to see Rowett gone as I believe him to be a self-centred, lazy manager void of much awareness or vision and his attitude and performances are draining the club. But the question of who comes In Is a legitimate and fair one.

After all, If we replace him with someone worse and more harmful, what would be the point?

The problem Is you have picked a manager to replace him who not only has a job and Is very unlikely to lose It, but who has the ability and who has earned the right to be considered for jobs bigger and better than ours, and who would be out of our price range even If he had his Saturdays free.

Unless sensible and realistic suggestions are made, people will continue to stand firm and reiterate the question of who can we get to replace him.

I would like to see Rowett gone as I believe him to be a self-centred, lazy manager void of much awareness or vision and his attitude and performances are draining the club. But the question of who comes In Is a legitimate and fair one.

After all, If we replace him with someone worse and more harmful, what would be the point?

The problem Is you have picked a manager to replace him who not only has a job and Is very unlikely to lose It, but who has the ability and who has earned the right to be considered for jobs bigger and better than ours, and who would be out of our price range even If he had his Saturdays free.

Unless sensible and realistic suggestions are made, people will continue to stand firm and reiterate the question of who can we get to replace him.
Great post!

I don’t know what Rowett’s yearly salary is, but I don’t think it’s going to be as high as what Chris Wilder is getting at Boro, for example. If JB isn’t prepared to pay above the budget he has already set aside for Rowett, then to replace him, the chairman will have to start looking at managers from leagues 1 and 2.

JB could make a bit of a splash and statement and sign a ‘name’ manager - someone like Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, who is currently the manager of Burton Albion. Hasselbank isn’t really pulling up trees at Burton though. They currently sit 12th in the league 1 table on 32 points - 11 points off a play off place, and 9 points off safety! Plus, moving up to become a Championship manager, Hasselbank would want a significant pay rise, one that’s more in keeping with the salary that Wilder is probably getting at Boro, and I can’t see JB being prepared to match that - with no guarantee Hasselbank would cut it as a Championship manager!

So, if JB can’t or won’t pay the going rate for a name manager, he has to start looking for someone that isn’t on another Championship chairman’s radar yet, but who has just started to show the positives in what he has done since joining his new club. It would also have to be someone who can work within a low, set financial budget, and who isn’t afraid to play players from the U23’s.

I’ll throw a name into the hat to kick us off. Rob Edwards, ex Villa, Wolves, Blackpool and Barnsley centre half, who is the current Forest Green Rovers manager. They sit at the top of league 2 right now, and are way out in front of their 2nd place rivals, Tranmere. Forest Green Rovers chairman Dale Vince was quoted as saying about his new manager as being “at the cutting edge of the game. We wanted to move away from the recruitment merry-go-round of been there and done it league managers to focus on coaches at the cutting edge of the game. Rob and Richie (Kyle - Edwards assistant), bring an understanding and openness to all aspects of coaching - like sports science and analytics. This is the start of our next era."

So far, it seems to be working for them.

One other positive about Rob Edwards - he isn’t a Scouser!

I’ll throw a name into the hat to kick us off. Rob Edwards, ex Villa, Wolves, Blackpool and Barnsley centre half, who is the current Forest Green Rovers manager. They sit at the top of league 2 right now, and are way out in front of their 2nd place rivals, Tranmere. Forest Green Rovers chairman Dale Vince was quoted as saying about his new manager as being “at the cutting edge of the game. We wanted to move away from the recruitment merry-go-round of been there and done it league managers to focus on coaches at the cutting edge of the game. Rob and Richie (Kyle - Edwards assistant), bring an understanding and openness to all aspects of coaching - like sports science and analytics. This is the start of our next era."

Oh no, not the New Age traveller..!
The first thing 'Green Dale' would do is try and get Pie and Mash banned within a two mile radius of The Den.

- And, what the fuck is "at the cutting edge of the game"?
:grinning:

Oh no, not the New Age traveller..!
The first thing 'Green Dale' would do is try and get Pie and Mash banned within a two mile radius of The Den.

- And, what the fuck is "at the cutting edge of the game"?
:grinning:
Just one of many names out there!

Yep, didn’t understand the cutting edge of the game quote, either!

I understand the concerns and doubts many have about him but if you look at the club’s history there’s only 8 (+/-2) seasons we’ve been placed higher in the football pyramid.

When you consider how limited this squad is, some would argue he’s done well 🤷‍♂️

I think Rowett is a very good Championship manager and like it or not, he is doing a good job with a team that has our budget, attendances and scope for attracting top players.

I don't think we could reasonably expect anyone better and I speak as someone who has coated him off a lot, most of the time unfairly.

I am not sure why we are debating GR’s contract. Maybe I have missed something but I have looked hard online and I cannot find anything that says he has only six months of his contract left.
I am the first to admit that GR spends far too much time picking a team that won’t lose rather than picking a team that are set up to win. The football can lack excitement and can be tiresome to watch. I reflect that in my Just Backs and I am not afraid to criticise GR and his tactics. On the flip side we are well placed in the league and probably won’t make the play offs but also won’t go down. He has given opportunities to academy players to force their way into the first team, he has some decent under 23 players who are knocking on the door and we have a decent blend of senior players and youth in the squad.
It is whistling in the wind to think that JB will take GR to one side, tell him that his football is boring and his contract will not be renewed even if it expires in six months. In my view he is with us all the time he keeps us in the Championship so I don’t see an imminent change of manager.