EFL Cup

Lol, they call it 'upsets'! Like Millwall, other clubs don't want unnecessary injuries or cards affecting their League games... It's the mickey mouse cup with little reward and clubs realise they aren't going to win it when the Prem teams come in to play at the last minute with fresh legs... fine, give it to them lol. Are we meant to be grateful for the crumbs that they offer!

I get that the big boys will come and take their ball away in the quarters etc, but with 12 or more championship clubs out, there is s decent chance of a lucky draw getting you to the quarter, maybe semi finals and that must be worth a fair bit of wedge? Bit short sighted to me

I get that the big boys will come and take their ball away in the quarters etc, but with 12 or more championship clubs out, there is s decent chance of a lucky draw getting you to the quarter, maybe semi finals and that must be worth a fair bit of wedge? Bit short sighted to me
What's the point of modern cup ties when the Prem boys have a squad of 20 lowest value of £10m plus, to me all cups are dead and valueless these days.
It's not like the old when teams had a chance against the big boys and there was a player or two difference, it's like going to war with a spoon.
It's hard enough competing against the ex Prem teams in our own division and even they can't compete in the Prem.
There are 5 leagues within the top two divisions and every game is a cup game in it's own right

What's the point of modern cup ties when the Prem boys have a squad of 20 lowest value of £10m plus, to me all cups are dead and valueless these days.
It's not like the old when teams had a chance against the big boys and there was a player or two difference, it's like going to war with a spoon.
It's hard enough competing against the ex Prem teams in our own division and even they can't compete in the Prem.
There are 5 leagues within the top two divisions and every game is a cup game in it's own right
THIS

To me it appears the Championship sides were.quite happy to go out early. Also bringing our game forward was strange.

The Prem sides are always moaning they play too many games, so why can‘t they all agree to not take part in the league cup ever again, and leave it to the Championship, leagues 1 & 2 and non league sides to fight over?

That way, clubs from our division downwards, would take the cup more seriously (knowing that there was a more level playing field), and put out stronger sides (especially if there was a European spot of some kind awaiting the winners), and more supporters would go to these games, thereby increasing financial revenues for each club!

That’s one way the Prem could give something back to the other leagues they’ve stitched up since 1992!

Last edited:
No chance of winning them, but for arguments sake, Cambridge then the Pikies, then Tranmere, then Wigan and you are getting proper wedge. By your argument, there'd never be another Everton, Brighton (even though we blew it), Leicester, Arsenal etc. All we'd have to look forward to is being good at home and pony away against the same 19 sides every year.

FA Cup is still massive for lower league teams and non league. The 50/50 spilt on ticket revenue when drawn away is massive for these clubs.

I watched 60 minutes of the sheff Wednesday game last night to watch greggs. Both teams playing weakened teams. Hardly any support at these games so probably cost more to put it on if you lose. Proper pointless for some muggy company to have their name branded on a cup.

To me it appears the Championship sides were.quite happy to go out early. Also bringing our game forward was strange.
I had this feeling also.
Watched Wednesday v Sunderland and tbh I thought Sunderland didn’t seem that bothered about going out. If your one of the so called big teams in the championship the promised land & big bucks of reaching the Prem are all that matters.
Must say though I still love the FA Cup.

My only problem with the league cup or whatever its called these days is that all league teams dont go into round one. There should be an equal chance for every team, which means you have to beat the same number of teams as everyone else to win it.

It used to be the Championship sides that performed a so-called giant killing in this cup because the Prem teams usually changed their entire XI and got caught out. Now it's happened to the Championship teams. Nearly every team that went out to a lower division club didn't field their best teams. Changing your entire team one game into the season is fucking stupid if you ask me.

(Please don't look at the Cambridge thread where I say we should change the entire team and give the squad players a game)