Dagenham v Millwall 1981

onlyagame

As Dagenham are on ITV tonight it jogged memories of the cup game in 81
To be honest I thought it was one nil (so I got that wrong) but if I remember correctly, the winner was a corner kick that went straight in. Also remember a wall collapsing & a policeman was left with a broken leg.
There was also talk of wet spam turning up which I’m sure they did, anyone else on here go?

Apparently 1981 was the worst December weather in the entire 20th century & football more or less shut down for the three weeks before Xmas, so it was either the cold or more likely you & our lot that scared them off GH.

I was there (2-1 to us I think) the wall collapsing was just along from me and my younger brother (I was 16 he was 13) there was a picture in the Daily Mirror the next day of the copper under the wall screaming his head off and in the crowd behind you could clearly see my older brother laughing his head off :D
There were West Ham there but they left a bit lively just before the end.

A kick off with the filth afterward.s The first time i heard about police tanks, funny as fck looking back now the good old days

Was there and remember that wall collapsing, thought we drew but got that wrong, West Ham were in that pub as you came out the station and turned right but only a few went the game slipping away before the end, loads of old bill on duty that night and I'm sure they blocked the road off so nobody could go to their pub..

Although he was Millwall & south London through & through, my father in law (at the time) worked at Fords in Dagenham, I’m guessing he wasn’t the only one who crossed the river every day to work there