Central Midfield

PurleyLion

Staff member
Can’t doubt their tenacity, determination and commitment but Billy and Saville present little creative threat going forward, lack composure on the ball, can’t pick a pass and caught in possession too often.

I think they are one of the major reasons we resort to hoof ball so much and rarely look like opening up an opponent 🤷‍♂️

Can’t doubt their tenacity, determination and commitment but Billy and Saville present little creative threat going forward, lack composure on the ball, can’t pick a pass and caught in possession too often.

I think they are one of the major reasons we resort to hoof ball so much and rarely look like opening up an opponent 🤷‍♂️
They can pick a pass but to the opposition. Several times yesterday and the main culprit was Saville ☹️

If anyone was watching Wall for the first time yesterday, they would probably agree.Sunderland were getting a foothold in the 2nd half and being one up Wall needed to retain the ball better and played simple passes instead of trying to play a Hollywood ball.If Wall have the ball, the oppo can't attack, Capt. Obvious stuff really.
A bit harsh on Mitchell who can play a pass, remember the defence splitting pass for Danny Mac away to Preston for the Flemming goal, so he has it in him, as for Saville I think he is a decent player, just an off day in my opinion.

If anyone was watching Wall for the first time yesterday, they would probably agree.Sunderland were getting a foothold in the 2nd half and being one up Wall needed to retain the ball better and played simple passes instead of trying to play a Hollywood ball.If Wall have the ball, the oppo can't attack, Capt. Obvious stuff really.
A bit harsh on Mitchell who can play a pass, remember the defence splitting pass for Danny Mac away to Preston for the Flemming goal, so he has it in him, as for Saville I think he is a decent player, just an off day in my opinion.
Most important bit is having something to pass to. We don’t give enough simple options to player with the ball. Passing is made easy if you can pass to someone with 5 yards around him. Movement required, but requires utter fitness.

& proper target man short of being a really good consistant team in this league
Think we are missing the presence of Afobe or that type of player, that can hold the ball up/ test the centre halves. I suppose playing one up front ain't going to help our cause nor solve the problem. Not much for the centre mids to aim for with a sole striker lost amongst the oppos defenders.

I think some of the opinions here are a bit harsh on our midfield. Yes they had a few attempts to play through balls picked off by their defenders but I'd rather they try that than watch Long booting the ball up field giving possession away.

In my opinion you need variety in getting the ball forward. Getting down the wings, through balls and long diagonals. I think we are doing a relatively good job on that count. Some of our issues come from only having one up front, but that will remain all the while we play Flemming in the way we currently are.

As a team in the league who fundamentally aren't one of the strongest in terms of financial power and size, we have to make sure that we are just clinically ruthless with the opportunities we have.

Us as 'Wall fans, sadly do not have the 'joys' of expecting to win every time we step onto the pitch, but one thing we do have over the majority of the commercial based bollocks of other teams (in our league especially) is that we have a core understanding between players, fans and the owner.

The players know what we as fans want them to do on the pitch and so does the manager and owner. It may take some time and some mistakes along the way, but trust the process.

Last edited:
Don't think either had a bad game, but could have done with Leonards engine in there for the last 20 minutes, in my opinion.

Someone who drives forward and holds onto the ball.

To be fair we should have been further in front by the time we took the lead , sunderland have a really young side with a lot of energy, saville and mitchell both had decent games but saville in particular seems to run out of steam quicker than most and may have led to the tired challenge that gave them their free kick and equalizer

Think we are missing the presence of Afobe or that type of player, that can hold the ball up/ test the centre halves. I suppose playing one up front ain't going to help our cause nor solve the problem. Not much for the centre mids to aim for with a sole striker lost amongst the oppos defenders.
Afobe had the ball control of a one legged donkey & could not jump to save his life ...no we need a big physical presence for Bradshaw etc to feed off if we are going to play hoof ball nearly every game

My impression was that both are asked to sit deep and protect the back 4. If we used just one to do that (Livermore under McGhee style) then the other one could get higher up the pitch and help the attack more.

My impression was that both are asked to sit deep and protect the back 4. If we used just one to do that (Livermore under McGhee style) then the other one could get higher up the pitch and help the attack more.
Probably why we don’t concede bundles. A slick team will hurt us

Afobe had the ball control of a one legged donkey & could not jump to save his life
You forget to say he was lazy, you're slipping Phil :wagging: He scored 12/ 14 goals one season, not bad for a Donkey! He held the ball up well and was a big plus for our team, regardless of your clear dislike of him. His presence and goals haven't been replaced.