Can we have a proper go next season?

To buy better players, who will pass, move and create space and chances for our forwards, you sometimes need to spend a bit more money than perhaps you’re used to! JB sanctioned the buying of both Leonard and Bradshaw, and they were £1M each (the most we’ve played for players), and we have seen this season, particularly with Bradshaw, that he is worth his transfer fee, when he has another forward next to him, and Afobe has been the perfect foil for Bradshaw this season (and vice versa), and that’s shown in their goal tallies! Had they been playing together from the start of the season, I think both of them would have at least 15 goals each by now! If Rowett wants to buy Afobe, will JB sanction it, knowing how much Stoke will probably want for him (plus his weekly salary with us), based just on the one season he’s had with us?

I still don’t know if the rumour is true that Huski wants to buy the club at some point. Perhaps they do, but JB doesn’t want to sell…..yet! JB doesn’t have bottomless pockets, but if it’s going to take a few million to replace the players we’re losing this season, then why doesn’t JB bring Huski in as a serious investor (whilst still retaining owner rights), who might be able to throw £5M into the ring (and along with whatever JB can afford), and get in those better players so we can ‘go for it‘ next season?

JB could deduct that £5M off the final asking price (assuming Huski still want to buy the club), but in the meantime, Huski could look at the investment as safeguarding their own future, by being owners of the club who could have a squad of players capable of getting, at the very least, a play off position under their ownership?

What do people think? The rumours are we’ve got a few quid to spend. Jed may stay. I don’t think the league will be stronger next season with Norwich and Watford coming down. I know we all want one of Everton and leeds to come down but it would probably help our chances more if Burnley did.
We’ve got to be aiming for at least top 6 again. But who knows. A few decent signings and we could have a go at automatics? Or am I just being ridiculously optimistic and a bit naive?
I've noticed a pattern with Millwall... when we just miss out on the Play Offs, we seem to get relegated the following season.

Last edited:
We were never anywhere close to promotion this season. Just to prove it , we were never even once in a play-off spot let alone a promotion place.
There was ridiculous optimism this season but next season - who knows?
I don't believe that aiming for a top six is the same as going for it ("it" being promotion). The big worry is Jed. We never looked good without him.
To be a better team next season needs quite a rebuild and I don't think its going to come, or am I being ridiculously pessimistic?
You say that and I understand why you say it. But Luton finished 6 points ahead of us and does anyone think they're much better than us? To get to the top 2, yes, we'd need to be a hell of alot better. But we really aren't far off top 6. I agree with you about Jed, though. We're not a one man team and we're not dependent on him. But we're definitely a weaker team without him. But if we managed somehow to get an upgrade on Jed and a more reliable forward, then we're well capable of a top 6 finish.

To buy better players, who will pass, move and create space and chances for our forwards, you sometimes need to spend a bit more money than perhaps you’re used to! JB sanctioned the buying of both Leonard and Bradshaw, and they were £1M each (the most we’ve played for players), and we have seen this season, particularly with Bradshaw, that he is worth his transfer fee, when he has another forward next to him, and Afobe has been the perfect foil for Bradshaw this season (and vice versa), and that’s shown in their goal tallies! Had they been playing together from the start of the season, I think both of them would have at least 15 goals each by now! If Rowett wants to buy Afobe, will JB sanction it, knowing how much Stoke will probably want for him (plus his weekly salary with us), based just on the one season he’s had with us?

I still don’t know if the rumour is true that Huski wants to buy the club at some point. Perhaps they do, but JB doesn’t want to sell…..yet! JB doesn’t have bottomless pockets, but if it’s going to take a few million to replace the players we’re losing this season, then why doesn’t JB bring Huski in as a serious investor (whilst still retaining owner rights), who might be able to throw £5M into the ring (and along with whatever JB can afford), and get in those better players so we can ‘go for it‘ next season?

JB could deduct that £5M off the final asking price (assuming Huski still want to buy the club), but in the meantime, Huski could look at the investment as safeguarding their own future, by being owners of the club who could have a squad of players capable of getting, at the very least, a play off position under their ownership?
This is not directed at you, I just seen the Huski link

This rumor that Huski want to buy the club came from
They sponsor a few different teams in different sports.

I remember some chat on here about one of the owners of Huski being at The Den with a cowboy hat on and (he said she said) that he loves the club and wants to buy it.
All of that could have been tongue in cheek, but if true, do we really want a "I've been a fan of the club for years" owner who don't know a thing about us.
If he/they do want to buy the club, just be truthful.

I've noticed a pattern with Millwall... when we just miss out on the Play Offs, we seem to get relegated the following season.
and this is the first time we have broken that pattern and even with Jed leaving we still have a squad good enough for mid table.
We are slowly improving the squad, mainly down to JB's money being there consistently.
With a big chunk of wages going next month we have a chance to improve the squad further, a far better future than half the clubs have in this division.

This is not directed at you, I just seen the Huski link

This rumor that Huski want to buy the club came from
They sponsor a few different teams in different sports.

I remember some chat on here about one of the owners of Huski being at The Den with a cowboy hat on and (he said she said) that he loves the club and wants to buy it.
All of that could have been tongue in cheek, but if true, do we really want a "I've been a fan of the club for years" owner who don't know a thing about us.
If he/they do want to buy the club, just be truthful.
To be absolutely truthful, I really don’t know!

What we do know is that there is going to be some sort of a rebuild this summer. As to how much (player wise and cash wise), we don’t know. I suspect that in those player numbers we will have some loans again! If we can’t afford Arsenal’s asking price (if they want to sell him), then maybe getting Ballard in on another year long loan is the next best option? On the other hand, if Arsenal were prepared to sell, they may want, say, £5M for him! That would probably be too much for JB to pay out for one player, but an investor like Huski, who would have deeper pockets than JB, might be prepared to stump up the cash!

We don’t want the same situation that is happening over at Charlton right now, where an owner comes in who has no clue about the club, the history, the supporters or football in general (as Danish Dave has proved), but if JB remains as owner, and brings in an investor, he still gets to keep control and all of the final decision making! Skintgaard wants to bring investors in as well, because he doesn’t have enough money to throw at a total rebuild of players, but no fucker wants to go in with him, after seeing the shit storm he’s been overseeing in the past two years! That is the difference potential investors would see, when comparing JB and Skintgaard - there isn’t a contest!

Maybe if JB does agree at some point in the future, to sell the club to Huski (or some other company or individual), we can only hope that the new ownership have good, sound business acumen, and who ‘get’ the ethos of the club (both of which JB does, and I hope Huski has since they’ve been our sponsors.) If the new owners can run the club on the same sound footing which JB has done these past 15 years, then maybe we’d have more chance of a successful transition between old and new, which won’t affect the club short or long term!

1st this has been a very good season like normal we have no money to sign players and have to dip in the loan market to get players in
the big deafferents this season has been dan and bill coming in just gave the whole team a lift

our defence has been top draw again since we been back in the championship
the only reason we have stayed up in my opinion

don't think me are miles off have a well decent team
lets see who's comes in the summer

What did Berylson know about us or football before he took over? Not a lot i would guess apart from the land around us and what it's worth. What do most chairmen/ owners in the top two divisions know about there clubs? It's always a risk that a new incumbent maybe a dodge pot, we got lucky with Berylson cause he took to us and our uniqueness but that don't mean he's not here to make a profit. He's a venture capitalist, the nature of that beast is that it's all about risk taking.

Would be good if JBs son took the reigns from his father, he would have grown up with us and get what we are about plus he would have seen first hand how to run a football club intelligently.
I do know that he has a lot of input in the club from day to day.