Birmingham v Millwall match thread

The fuck up Burey made. Was that where he won a challenge on the halfway line sprinted into their box and had a one on one with the keeper? All his own work, can you imagine the likes of Kane, Haaland etc passing up a chance like that? Yes it was a poor shot, but surely we want our players to shoot when ghe chance arises.

As for Flemming, looked good first ten minutes but if we are going to play long high balls and expect the team to chase like headless chickens we are wasting our time picking him. Get the ball to his feet and let him unpick defences. Vlog and Bradshaw would both benefit.

All in all though, would have taken a point before the game.

This!

You are spot on about Burey. He cost us the win tonight by making the wrong decision to go for goal and the glory, instead of squaring the ball to Voglsammer, which would have netted him his 1st Millwall goal, and boosted his confidence going forward in future games!

I hope in the dressing room at full time, Rowett let Burey know the costly mistake he made, and that should a similar opportunity present itself in the future, he should make the simple pass, and not go for glory on his own, like a wannabe Jed Wallace!

Much better performance tonight after the Huddersfield game! You could see that the players wanted to get a win against a Brum side that had given up in the 2nd half, resorting to time wasting by flinging themselves to the ground, and running the clock down even more by standing in the corner flags, to get themselves an undeserved point.

It’s debatable that 1 point from the last two games could have been 6 points, bearing in mind the players we have and the performances given that gave us 4 wins on the trot, but it does highlight we need a decent goal scoring forward in the January transfer window, assuming that’s what Rowett wants, and whether JB is prepared to splash the cash to achieve his managers wish!
It looks like Vogi had a decent shout for a penalty as he was dragged down by their defender from Murray’s cross. Burey could have passed to Vogi quite early before he shot and notice his petulant response at the end, which suggests someone dug him out and didn’t like it.

I'm somewhere right in the middle between you and Life with the Lions on Burey and his miss tonight. Fair enough, you can't blame him solely for the defeat and he did create the chance. But he's got to cop a bit of blame for it too. That's the way it goes when you pull on the shirt. Haven't watched it back but my memory of it is that his second or third touch was a bit heavy and he got a bit too close to the keeper before he pulled the trigger. It's a shame because had he squared it or scored it himself, he'd be the hero tonight. It's fine margins sometimes in football.

Let's see how he gets on over the rest of the season.
Think he made the wrong decision but a problem he has is he doesn’t have a left peg so a pass to Vogl would probably have to have been made with the outside of his foot 🦶, not necessarily a skill he has 🤷‍♂️

The fuck up Burey made. Was that where he won a challenge on the halfway line sprinted into their box and had a one on one with the keeper? All his own work, can you imagine the likes of Kane, Haaland etc passing up a chance like that? Yes it was a poor shot, but surely we want our players to shoot when ghe chance arises.

As for Flemming, looked good first ten minutes but if we are going to play long high balls and expect the team to chase like headless chickens we are wasting our time picking him. Get the ball to his feet and let him unpick defences. Vlog and Bradshaw would both benefit.

All in all though, would have taken a point before the game.
Wasn’t at the game but have thought for some while the team hasn’t yet established how best to feed the ball to Flemming’s feet.

Until they do that I think his performances will continue to be patchy 🤷‍♂️

How did one player cost us the win?

I must have missed all those other goals we scored from all those other players who had shots on target and the 10 out of 10 performance each player gave.

I think he should have passed but hindsite is a wonderful thing. He created the chance and earned the right to have the shot, It's just that the effort weren't good enough. Had he slipped It under the keeper you wouldn't be demanding the manager tell him not to shoot In future. We don't even know Vlog would have scored, he ain't exactly been prolific the last few years.

But fuck It, let's make our young players afraid to have a go, let's bollock the shit out of them, take away their confidence and make them afraid of making mistakes. That way they can grow up to be like the all the other players we've had over the recent years who pass backwards and sidewides and lack any creative Instinct.

Also, 'like a wannabe Jed Wallace'.

Wow.
exactly, amazes me that the one player with a bit of spark - literally the ONLY player we have that can create something otu of nothing is being piled upon. he ruined there defender, his run on goal (bradshaw would have been tackled within a second) was pefect but he made the wrong choice.

yes, lets drop him. let's have a team with almost zero flare and verve.

burey is very, very useful for us.

All of this

As for Flemming, looked good first ten minutes but if we are going to play long high balls and expect the team to chase like headless chickens we are wasting our time picking him.
And this.

From one extract from PeckhamLion’s post on the thread, Just back v Brum on Live Stream.

”I felt Tyler could have done better with his chance, his last touch was to heavy and never anticipated the keeper going to ground. Think a striker would have instinctively put the ball over the oncoming keeper.”

And that’s the difference between Burey and say, Bradshaw. Look how confident and clinical Bradshaw was for his 1st goal against Watford. I doubt very much that Burey would have even thought to have put the ball over the keeper.

Yes, some of our other players had chances in the game, but I don’t think any of them would have been as clear cut enough as the one Burey had to square the ball to Voglsammer. Of course, had Voglsammer missed that open goal, everyone on here (including myself) would have slated him for a poor miss, and praised Burey for his selfless action in passing to a team mate!

Sometimes, in a game like the one last night, where the team is dominant and playing well (but chances are not taken), it just needs one special moment to turn the game, and that moment should have been Burey passing to Voglsammer. Alas, it wasn’t to be, but hopefully if Burey is put in a similar situation in the future, he will learn from that mistake, make the right decision and end the game as probably MOM!

And that’s the difference between Burey and say, Bradshaw.
It's not and not the point i was making which is, Bradshaw and Afobe are strikers, they have the instinct in front of goal that players of other positions don't, simple as that.They anticipate what the keeper will do and know when's the right time to pull the trigger. Nine times out of ten a striker scores that chance. How about giving the kid some credit for having a go in the first place.

He's a good, exciting but raw player, can create something out of nothing, run at defences, take players etc. He has to allowed to make mistakes otherwise he'll fold and think why should i bother. If the crowd turn on him ,him and we are fucked.

It's not and not the point i was making which is, Bradshaw and Afobe are strikers, they have the instinct in front of goal that players of other positions don't, simple as that.They anticipate what the keeper will do and know when's the right time to pull the trigger. Nine times out of ten a striker scores that chance. How about giving the kid some credit for having a go in the first place.

He's a good, exciting but raw player, can create something out of nothing, run at defences, take players etc. He has to allowed to make mistakes otherwise he'll fold and think why should i bother. If the crowd turn on him ,him and we are fucked.
Burey did do well for winning the ball and having a go at Brum’s defence, but like you said, he isn’t a forward, and maybe in that same situation if a forward has that ball, he passes to a fellow forward because he knows his team mate has a better chance of putting the ball in the back of the net!

Of course Burey will make mistakes - all players make mistakes, regardless of their age, and hopefully if Burey is put in a similar situation in the future, he will make the right decision. It’s just unfortunate that the best chance of the game was that one, and one that would have given us all 3 points!

I doubt very much that Burey would have even thought to have put the ball over the keeper.
His final touch was a bit to heavy, which probably put him off dinking the keeper. It happens to the best of players. You convince yourself of these things then set out your stall, the only one that knows the truth is the player. Lets supoort him and give him the benefit of doubt.

Of course, had Voglsammer missed that open goal,
What open goal?

he will learn from that mistake, make the right decision
You're stall is set out here alright :grinning: countless posters have responded to your post disagreeing with you but on you go. Burey, with the goal baring down on him made a decision to shoot, if it goes in he's made the right decision. He's made a mistake because you think you know best and that all he had to do was pass it, who's to say that Vlog would have scored? Why aren't you digging out other players for offering fuck all in the final third?

Last edited: