Ben Thompson - What has he done? Back from injury?

Lions21

Watched the U23’s today for the first time on that new Recast thing. Ben Thompson was playing. Is he coming back from injury or is Rowett punishing him for something? How is someone with Ben’s attitude playing at that level but our absolute useless wage thieves (no need to mention names) are not? He must be gutted to be so far away from the first team squad if he’s not been injured.
We have had to pick youngsters lately due to covid etc but Ben is not getting a look in - does anyone know if it’s just Rowett being a dick or is there something more to it?

Does seem strange, Think Rowett has had his mind set on him leaving so not including him as not in his plans and he sees the youngsters he put on the bench and cameo appearances in the cup as having opportunities whilst Thompson has had his. It’s a goodbye from Thompson in the near future I think… Shame as he is one of our own.

If we were playing 442 and wanted to tighten up with a 451 or 4411 surely Ben would be ideal for that As he can play in a more advanced midfield role and support a lone striker. I cannot see why the youngsters are ahead of him. why is Bod not in the u23’s it makes no sense.

He is a positive player, one that covers a lot of ground but perhaps lacks that positional discipline.

When left to roam and scrap and fight for lost causes he is one of our better players I believe, but Rowett simply doesn’t like the chaos. It’s a real shame as I think Ben has plenty to offer us still.

He would have done a far, far better job than Kieftenbeld, his addition baffles me to this day.

Watched the U23’s today for the first time on that new Recast thing. Ben Thompson was playing. Is he coming back from injury or is Rowett punishing him for something? How is someone with Ben’s attitude playing at that level but our absolute useless wage thieves (no need to mention names) are not? He must be gutted to be so far away from the first team squad if he’s not been injured.
We have had to pick youngsters lately due to covid etc but Ben is not getting a look in - does anyone know if it’s just Rowett being a dick or is there something more to it?
He has been playing regularly for the U23 s for some time now.

He has been playing regularly for the U23 s for some time now.
Thanks BigPaul - I was hoping this was just because he was on the comeback trail after an injury. Clearly if he is the only one dumped in the u23’s and he’s not going to feature for the first team squad even when we have so many players injured/covid etc then he’s on his way.
Ben like Fergie and Smith will be better off elsewhere for his own sanity.

Been treated disgracefully by GR, miles better than the fucking dross of Saville, Keiftenbeld and one of the worse players I've seen in a Millwall shirt for many years Evans!!
Unfortunately the 3 mentioned players have been signed by our tactical genius of a manager so Thompson has no chance.
I've said it before, I'd much rather Rowett leave than Ben!!!

Rowlett does not like him....made a lot of empty promises when hull came in for him , not injured and I'm sure he will be gone if a decent offer comes in.Always gives 100% unlike the carthorses evans,saville but those are Rowlett boys

I concur with Andover. Great lad who never gives less than 100%, is Millwall through and through but sadly is not quite good enough. I honestly believe that the Championship is a bridge too far for him. Others mentioned above do have more physical presence than he has and can manage to stay on their feet than Ben. He would be wise to find another club where he could play regularly. Thanks Ben and best wishes.

Some fans must have short memories on here when it comes to Thompson, either that or they won’t take off the ‘one of our own’ goggles. He had a run in the side last season and was in all honesty poor. He spent most of the time slipping and falling over or chasing the ball after losing it with a terrible first touch.

Football is a squad game and there is always going to be players on the fringes or not in the picture at all but some people seem intent on inventing rumours of unhappy players and squad unrest just to undermine and underline their dislike whoever is the manager at the time. We had it when Harris was in charge and it’s the same now.

Like others have said if it was down to attitude and commitment to the club then Ben would be first on the team sheet every week but it isn’t. The truth is Rowett simply doesn’t rate him enough to be a starter in a potential play off chasing side and he’s probably right.

To say Thommo isn't good enough is harsh. Always played his best football when given a run in the side. His run at Pompey, then come back and helped us avoid the drop second season back in the championship.

I concede, he probably doesn't provide the good displays consistently enough, but he has a few goals in him, which none of our other midfielders have and I would argue all day long with anyone whether Evans, Kief, Saville & arguably injury prone Leonard are any better?

What does irritate me though, is Rowett's man management here. I cannot forgive ostracising a product of our academy and fellow fan, to the extent that when the squad has been ravaged by covid & injuries, Ben is still being dumped in the 23's rather than on our bench.

I reckon bring Ben on for Saville would have been far more productive than the dutchman.