Atmosphere Saturday….

Somethings not been right at Millwall post Covid. Rowetts football don’t help but the club as whole seems to have changed quickly. Tourists everywhere, that poncey fan zone, and we seem to be attracting absolute mongs as well. We always knew the Millwall we all grew up with one day would go but not yet….!! It’s the weirdest chance of promotion season ever, the higher our gate the worse our atmosphere, when it’s around the 12-13k mark it pisses all over a sell out. If this is a taste of what us as a club would be in the Premier league then fuck that.

That bit round the back of the CBL does my nut in. I was there before we played Coventry and honestly I could have been at Wembley, a Premier league ground or at a rugby match. That poxy blue bus DJ was blaring out ‘Sweet Caroline’ (a song which should be burnt in hell) and every silly cunt was joining in with the chorus, loads of wallys, silly giggling women filming themselves, Coventry shirters and untold tourists some of them even had the front to be decked out in German and Dutch football shirts.

Maybe it’s because, like a lot of us on here, I’m a (older) cunt who preferred our ground to be unwelcoming, hostile and menacing to outsiders. I get the financial aspect of it all but It cuts me up when I see 3K away fans having the time of their lives and an easy day out.

The performance didn’t help, it was lacklustre. Also the oppo helps the atmosphere but Huddersfield mob was just as dull as their team.

also, the make up of the crowd is very different. Even apart from the tourists there are loads of families in tow, women and kids. Not a bad thing but never going to be the same as a load of pissed up blokes getting the week out of their system and waving their dicks around in front of their mates (figuratively speaking, not to be confused with rugger buggers or the Irish fella*).

but the the first time in many years, I'm not planning on renewing my ST.
Likewise. Need a break from doing every game. On top of that the club have, for some reason changed thre cut off point for the early bird to the midddle of the month.

It will fuck a lot of fans over who get paid monthly and will miss out. In my opinion it's a cynical move. They can fuck off and hope that tourists Sven and Borat pay through the nose for a one off match tickets and a wanky scarf.

Maybe our support at home need something for them to shout and get excited about?

Since the Huddersfield defeat a lot of posters on here have expressed their opinions about how poor the teams performances have been recently, and there’s probably something in that as to why the atmosphere isn’t great at home!
The atmosphere has been poor for a good while and long before this season. We're in the play offs, the performances haven';t been poor, nervy yes, poor no and poor don't get you in the top six.

A lot of the crowd aren't Millwall like we are. they're newcomers or one off visitors. Regulars are scattered about, there mates no longer come, we're being diluted. I used to get the area i sit going with songs, monkschant etc, try it now and it more than often falls on dead ears with complete strangers gawping at me as though i'm some sort of nutter.

Bermondsey and surrounding areas afre being gentrified, it will affect us and as long as we're doing well it will continue to affect and change us. The new locals are the middle classes, it's there local club, they latch onto things that are in vogue and successful.

You won't see them in league one, if we go up we'll be swamped by them. The Millwall we grew up with and know and love is fading away, has been for some time, nothing stands still, not even us. Season after season we will keep evolving until you no longer feel part of it anymore, or perhaps not.

Read an article today about the regen around the stadium and the plan for an extra 14,000 seats in The Den. The won't get that from just filling the corners in I don't think, so not sure what the plan would be.

Should improve against Luton, some one to vent our spleen at.
Been given just under a thousand tickets for the lower tier, then when they're sold just under 2 thousand for the upper.
Migs abound. 😎

Totally agree, the atmosphere just doesn't feel the same as it did when I was younger for example. Feel like the last few years especially that has been the case.

Strange, as it's one of the best seasons we've had ina while.

Potentially down to the way GR plays? The way these group of players respond to us fans giving them a boost? Or are we as fans just waiting for the typical Millwall collapse so none of us are getting our hopes up? Lol

Under Harris, the football was shite and we certainly didn't have the quality of players we do now. But the atmosphere IMO was never an issue... The crowd was always that important '12th' man.

Guess that's Millwall, we're an odd bunch. MIIIIIIIIILLLLLL

Home form has definitely been on the decline IMO since GR took over. I'm not moaning because we can actually win an away game now instead of waiting half a season.

Just needs the same home form Harris had, with GR's away form... we'd be serious.

Those old enough will remember we had a drum many years ago, the old gaff, halfway line. Late 70s I reckon.
One geezer holding some big base drum and his pal banging the life out of it.
Drove everyone fucking mad.
I was very young at the time, but I think we stole the drum from a Swindon supporter when we visited during our promotion season in 1976.

The atmosphere has been poor for a good while and long before this season. We're in the play offs, the performances haven';t been poor, nervy yes, poor no and poor don't get you in the top six.

A lot of the crowd aren't Millwall like we are. they're newcomers or one off visitors. Regulars are scattered about, there mates no longer come, we're being diluted. I used to get the area i sit going with songs, monkschant etc, try it now and it more than often falls on dead ears with complete strangers gawping at me as though i'm some sort of nutter.

Bermondsey and surrounding areas afre being gentrified, it will affect us and as long as we're doing well it will continue to affect and change us. The new locals are the middle classes, it's there local club, they latch onto things that are in vogue and successful.

You won't see them in league one, if we go up we'll be swamped by them. The Millwall we grew up with and know and love is fading away, has been for some time, nothing stands still, not even us. Season after season we will keep evolving until you no longer feel part of it anymore, or perhaps not.
Agree with all that you said, apart from the bit about our performances!

Teams in any division can play poorly yet still win or draw a game, sometimes when they really had no reason to - whether that be from a fluke goal or one moment of brilliance that turns the game on its head. We’ve had our share of good and bad luck this season, as we probably have every season.

There’s been a theory in the past on here (and on other Championship forums) that the Championship has been shit for a few seasons now, and I’ve often read this season: “How the fuck are Millwall sitting in the play offs?” I’m sure we’ve said something similar about Luton: “How the fuck are they still winning games?” Are supporters saying this because every team is beating every other team, and that’s not how it’s supposed to be? If so, then I would say that makes the Championship anything but being shit! It makes it exciting and so much less predictable than the Premier League where the runners and riders for the Champions League places (usually the top six clubs), are established within a few months of the season starting!

That hasn’t happened this season in the Championship play off places! The dark horses this season have been us and Luton (again), and before that, Huddersfield was the surprise package, where every supporter must have been thinking, “WTF?” I doubt supporters of every club in this division (including ours), would have expected little old Millwall to still be where they are at the tail end of the Championship season, but we are! Now, is that down to luck, and the Championship being shit, or are we there on merit, even though the football this season hasn’t been great to watch?

Totally get that and all the reasons you state are valid. I can't explain it, but I've missed a fair few games because of train strikes this season, I'd have been gutted in years gone by, but I genuinely haven't missed it. Strange with the club doing so much and the league position. I know all the stuff behind the CBL is money making but to me it is a bit plastic and to be honest gets on my tits. It's like a fucking street party not Millwall. It's just too 'nice' now and that's not for me.

Not knocking anyone or anything, probably just means I'm a miserable old fucker, but the the first time in many years, I'm not planning on renewing my ST.
/\ This

I miss the days when many a northern mouthy crowd got legged on the pitch or out of the ilderton, Cardiff included & the stick given to refs linesmen & the opp full back or any posing striker, new den has never been intimidating, for me any way, fkn every steward looks like the cnt just got out of a rubber boat, I really would love them to have go

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sp...uctions-transfer-embargoes-west-26522023Agree with all that you said, apart from the bit about our performances!

Teams in any division can play poorly yet still win or draw a game, sometimes when they really had no reason to - whether that be from a fluke goal or one moment of brilliance that turns the game on its head. We’ve had our share of good and bad luck this season, as we probably have every season.

There’s been a theory in the past on here (and on other Championship forums) that the Championship has been shit for a few seasons now, and I’ve often read this season: “How the fuck are Millwall sitting in the play offs?” I’m sure we’ve said something similar about Luton: “How the fuck are they still winning games?” Are supporters saying this because every team is beating every other team, and that’s not how it’s supposed to be? If so, then I would say that makes the Championship anything but being shit! It makes it exciting and so much less predictable than the Premier League where the runners and riders for the Champions League places (usually the top six clubs), are established within a few months of the season starting!

That hasn’t happened this season in the Championship play off places! The dark horses this season have been us and Luton (again), and before that, Huddersfield was the surprise package, where every supporter must have been thinking, “WTF?” I doubt supporters of every club in this division (including ours), would have expected little old Millwall to still be where they are at the tail end of the Championship season, but we are! Now, is that down to luck, and the Championship being shit, or are we there on merit, even though the football this season hasn’t been great to watch?
I think us and Luton being able to compete, beat decent sides and be around the play offs is because the usual suspects- Norwich, West brom, Stoke etc have no more parachute payments. West brom are in deep shit if they don't go back up this season. Watford have also been off the pace. Roewtt is a decent manager, we have a half decent squad. All that given has gave us a chance of competing with better placed clubs with bigger budgets.

Just my theory anyway.

Just see this. Posted by Happyliion and right on cue of me typing this

Last edited:
I think us and Luton being able to compete, beat decent sides and be around the play offs is because the usual suspects- Norwich, West brom, Stoke etc have no more parachute payments. West brom are in deep shit if they don't go back up this season. Watford have also been off the pace. Roewtt is a decent manager, we have a half decent squad. All that given has gave us a chance of competing with better placed clubs with bigger budgets.

Just my theory anyway.

Just see this. Posted by Happyliion and right on cue of me typing this

Your theory is 100% right in what you say and what’s in that article.

I was very young at the time, but I think we stole the drum from a Swindon supporter when we visited during our promotion season in 1976.

Didn’t know that. Fellas who had the drum were out of Peckham. Drum didn’t last long, half a dozen games maybe. They only knew one tune.

Boom boom boom boom
Boom boom boom boom
Boom boom boom boom

Still can’t get it out me head.🥴

….was really poor, again. What is the reason? The club keep putting out the blurb that it’s all fantastic but us old timers know that compared to before it’s fucking terrible. For long periods on Saturday the game was played out in near silence and at times it was hard to believe that we’re sitting in a playoff spot with a handful of games to go.

I’ve sat through many a crap game at The Den, old and new but these days it feels different, that undercurrent of intimidation just isn’t there. I’m not sure if it’s because a lot of older fans have fucked it off because of financial reasons or because modern football is, well, a bit shit because of over zealous stewards, microphones, cameras, phone grasses, tourists, YouTubers and podcasters etc but slowly we are becoming no different to our other London neighbours who we’ve taken the piss out of for years.

It’s ironic but the club is undoubtedly better run these days, the team is doing better than for many years and our attendances are as good as ever but something is missing down there. I honestly can’t remember a proper full on 90 minutes buzzing atmosphere at a home match since before covid.
The crowd has been changing and becoming a little more sedate gradually over the last 30 years I think. Early 2000's was far more hostile than late 2010's, and since 2019 it's changed even more markedly I think, and I include myself in that too, as I no longer bought a ST after 2020. I was so annoyed about the kneeling for BLM stuff I didn't renew. I used to absolutely hate missing games when I had a ST but now I find I don't miss it if I choose not to go. I still go fairly regularly, but it's not quite what it used to be, and I suppose to be honest the fact that I gave up my ST makes me part of the problem... All the knee bending, microphones, stupid fucking 'hear hate' signs, statements about abusive behaviour or inclusivity by the club, card only payments... All that utter shit - it just fucking irritates me, and I don't need to be irritated by my football club.
We seem to attract some proper fucking divvy day trippers for big or end of season games now too. I know we've always attracted the odd lunatic day tripper, but in recent years I've noticed an increase in really thick cunt pissed up mongs.
Everything changes I suppose... I'd like to see us have some success and spend a bit of time in the prem although I think if that did happen everything would just get worse and more sedate and contrived.

Then again... I could be proved wrong in a few weeks on Tuesday night...

I used to absolutely hate missing games when I had a ST but now I find I don't miss it if I choose not to go.
It's a habit is going all the time, a life long habit for most, if not all of us. Then something happens in your life and it's all change, and without realising, that habit is broken/ gone.

It happens to lots of people, blinded and trapped by loyalty until one day when everything changes. The lockdown did it for many that i know who no longer make the pilgrimage every other weekend.

Have been debating and musing over whether to renew again for next season. Things are tight for us right now, work isn;t as regular or as fruitful as it was proir to covid. Would nver have been an issue or even up for debate in previous years/ seasons but with the way the club and fanbase is changing, and along with other factors it has made me think if it's all worth it anymore.

I will renew but that is after some serious thinking , many doubts and some nudging from long term Wall mates that i've known for three and four decades.

It's a habit is going all the time, a life long habit for most, if not all of us. Then something happens in your life and it's all change, and without realising, that habit is broken/ gone.

It happens to lots of people, blinded and trapped by loyalty until one day when everything changes. The lockdown did it for many that i know who no longer make the pilgrimage every other weekend.

Have been debating and musing over whether to renew again for next season. Things are tight for us right now, work isn;t as regular or as fruitful as it was proir to covid. Would nver have been an issue or even up for debate in previous years/ seasons but with the way the club and fanbase is changing, and along with other factors it has made me think if it's all worth it anymore.

I will renew but that is after some serious thinking , many doubts and some nudging from long term Wall mates that i've known for three and four decades.
You’ve hit the nail on the head there, Peckham, by outlining a major problem that a lot of Wall supporters face today: that of wanting to show support to the club, and not becoming part of the problem when bods stay away (for any number of reasons!)

The only way to keep Wall support as it has been for decades is to not let the bastards grind you (us) down! By bastards, I mean Sky, the EFL, TalkShite, the BLM, cunts like jug ears, etc., and everything they stand for: the total sanitisation of the beautiful game in this country! Like you said, many bods have left over the years so the hardcore support has lessened that bit more, but if you decide to jack it in (and others on here do the same), it’s just helping those above bastards who either want this club dead and buried, or make it tow the line with their rules, regulations and standards!

It’s been happening at and to the club for a long time now: CCTV, microphones, grass stewards (personified by Lurch and other cronies), all on the off chance that should we make the PL, we as a club will be oven ready for Sky to make us become another Chelsea or Vermin - a once notorious set of supporters happy to now take the thirty pieces of silver to ride the Sky gravy train!

I’ve only wanted the PL for our club to make it financially better off, so we don’t go back to the dark old days of what is now leagues 1 and 2! That doesn’t mean that I support what Sky is and what it has become! To me, they would be just a means to an end to keep this club going for another 138 years! Sure, let the club make a deal with the devil (Sky) if they have to, but that doesn’t mean that we, the supporters have to accept it! The only way we can show Sky and our club that we hate these changes is to not lose our long term identity!

Do that and we will become another Chelsea or Vermin - and none of us wants that!