150 Years Ago International Football was Born

Halfwaybear

150 years tomorrow the World’s first International football game took place at West of Scotland cricket ground in Partick Glasgow. It ended up Scotland 0 England 0.

One local who was there was heard to say, this is shite, this will get football stopped. The rest is history.

150 years tomorrow the World’s first International football game took place at West of Scotland cricket ground in Partick Glasgow. It ended up Scotland 0 England 0.

One local who was there was heard to say, this is shite, this will get football stopped. The rest is history.

This was shite! This was what got football stopped! :throw::grinning:

Excellent post. I love trivia like this.
When you think about it EDT, in days gone by every successful English team had Scotsmen in their teams..Billy Bremner, Dave MacKay, Denis Law, Kenny Dalgleish, Graeme Souness and many many more; even Nottingham Forrest had about four or five Rangers fans in their EC winning teams (the ones I remember Kenny Burns, John Robertson, Archie Gemmill, John McGovern the captain and Trevor Francis who was obviously English but was a Rangers man).

Last edited:
When you think about it EDT, in days gone by every successful English team had Scotsmen in their teams..Billy Bremner, Dave MacKay, Denis Law, Kenny Dalgleish, Graeme Souness and many many more; even Nottingham Forrest had about four or five Rangers fans in their EC winning teams (the ones I remember Kenny Burns, John Robertson, Archie Gemmill, John McGovern the captain and Trevor Francis who was obviously English but was a Rangers man).
Blame the influx of foreigners to the Prem for stopping that,

This is the reason why I could never understand why Scotland didn't achieve more internationally back in the 70s and 80s... Alright, they made the 86 World Cup, and had a very decent side, but didn't get very far...
Scotland have had some superb players in the past yet achieved little... Maybe it's the goalkeepers??