Match thread Millwall v Cardiff

Rowett put subs on when Cardiff were just starting to get a foothold and it was the fresh legs we needed, he deffo got that bang on. The strength in depth is there and seeing the players we have on the bench shows that. However the back 3 is still a concern, Wallace and Hutch being dragged wide created huge gaps between them and Coops, Cardiff did not take advantage and never looked like they would. Make it a back 4 and with this squad I’m sure we can make the play offs.

I know it’s early but Sunderland game is big. Two home games after. Win that and we could be up there. So many times in last few years we wake up and think, win today and we are in it, but so many times we haven’t done it. Our squad is deeper this year so let’s hope we have a fucking go! Amazing how one win lifts the mental cloud …. COYL!!

Been awol today, by all accounts a very encouraging performance and a fine win. Well done the newbie and Benik.
COYL

I know it’s early but Sunderland game is big. Two home games after. Win that and we could be up there. So many times in last few years we wake up and think, win today and we are in it, but so many times we haven’t done it. Our squad is deeper this year so let’s hope we have a fucking go! Amazing how one win lifts the mental cloud …. COYL!!
I’ll be there with couple of mates and we’ll sing with the 1900 or so loud and proud. Then ripping into the Newcastle nightlife and scanty glad girls! 😉

Still very early days, with new lads finding their feet, but without getting too carried away, this performance and GRs willingness to change the starting 11 has to be a good sign. Adobe's goal will hopefully give his confidence a boost, and show those who aren't his biggest fans exactly what he's capable of when given decent service.
Keep the day. COYL.

Pursers windows, after a Cardiff game as well bus stop pulled to the ground and pavements used to do said windows and cars so I was told 😎

My missus told me that yours smells like a kipper.

I got that saying from an old bloke my Dad used to drink with. When the adverts were on during the football he said to literally everything "If that works then my dick's a kipper."

I remember one night he sat down with what looked like a pint of water with ice cubes in it. I said to my old man "Poor old sod, he can only afford to drink water." My dad said "Water? That's not water, it's a pint of gin."

I got that saying from an old bloke my Dad used to drink with. When the adverts were on during the football he said to literally everything "If that works then my dick's a kipper."

I remember one night he sat down with what looked like a pint of water with ice cubes in it. I said to my old man "Poor old sod, he can only afford to drink water." My dad said "Water? That's not water, it's a pint of gin."
Robbo I think he got it wrong slightly, the term back then was "My dicks a bloater" which was a type of kipper but the saying had innuendo bragging of dick size.

Last edited:
Today's game, the performance and the changes GR made shows we need to back him 100%. He gets it right more than he gets wrong and the habit he has of getting a result out of the bag when it matters is proof of that.
Agreed!

However, Rowett’s tendency to change a winning formula for the next match is legendary! He has to resist doing that, and realise that the team and the formation he both picked yesterday works, and now needs the courage of his convictions to keep with it and use it next Saturday away to Sunderland!

If he does, it will give Flemming and Der Slammer much needed game time, as well as helping them to attune themselves to the play and flow of their fellow team mates, which in turn will hopefully get both of them lots of goals! If Styles’ performance yesterday wasn’t a one off, then we have a fantastic LWB who is going to cause havoc down the left side, and he may even weigh in with a few goals as well!

Having a settled side that can play high up the pitch for 90 minutes is going to get us more wins than draws or defeats this season. I’m convinced that had yesterday’s starting 11 played like that against Sheffield United, Swansea and Norwich, we’d have at least 6 or 7 more points on the board this season!

COYL!

Last edited:
Still very early days, with new lads finding their feet, but without getting too carried away, this performance and GRs willingness to change the starting 11 has to be a good sign. Adobe's goal will hopefully give his confidence a boost, and show those who aren't his biggest fans exactly what he's capable of when given decent service.
Keep the day. COYL.
I bet his goal will look even better once he’s finished enhancing it! 😉

However, Rowett’s tendency to change a winning formula for the next match is legendary!

Most managers are legendary then, it's what most of them do for the first dozen or so games at the start of a season. Sunderland at their gaff, are likely to be a totally different challenge altogether than the Welsh powderpuff mob Moro turned up with.

Expect changes, that's how football is played theses days...and with five subs now available, that means even more options, so a strong bench is needed for teams. As it happens, I think we're okay on that front. The strongest for ages.

What formula don't you want to change? The starting eleven or the finishing eleven? Or the tactical set up? Which I think changed during the match anyway. I'm not being facetious, it's a curious, genuine question.
:grinning:

Most managers are legendary then, it's what most of them do for the first dozen or so games at the start of a season. Sunderland at their gaff, are likely to be a totally different challenge altogether than the Welsh powderpuff mob Moro turned up with.

Expect changes, that's how football is played theses days...and with five subs now available, that means even more options, so a strong bench is needed for teams. As it happens, I think we're okay on that front. The strongest for ages.

What formula don't you want to change? The starting eleven or the finishing eleven? Or the tactical set up? Which I think changed during the match anyway. I'm not being facetious, it's a curious, genuine question.
:grinning:
When I think back to that team in the late 80’s that got us promoted to the top flight, it barely changed from one week to the next. Times have indeed changed.

When I think back to that team in the late 80’s that got us promoted to the top flight, it barely changed from one week to the next. Times have indeed changed.

Yeah, they have. Most of us oldies have just got used to the three subs rule. Now, we have to wrap our heads around five. That's half of the outfield players..!!

It's no good for my Rain Man Compulsive Counting Disorder to make sure everyone is still there...
🤣

Staff online