Training.

Serious question:

Why do the club host open training sessions? Is it disinformation? I can't imagine we'd be practising anything that we would actually use in upcoming games - that would be utterly stupid.

In which case what is the point of it? Is it worth losing a training session because it's content is generic just to make the supporters feel involved?

I don't really understand the thinking. I'd rather we kept training behind closed doors and maxed it out tactically.

Do other clubs do open training sessions?

I first met Besart Topalloj at the Open Day in 2019.

He asked for a selfie, but I told him I'd no film in my camera.

I gave the lad a few tips from the time I played for the Chalk Farm Faggotts back in the late 60s/early 70s.

Not to put too fine a point on it, Bes could hardly trap a ball back in those days; I'm sure you'd agree it's a bit of a drawback for a defender.

Anyway, he was a quick learner and soon had the better of the ten year old kids who had been giving him the runaround.

Doubt if I'll be there next Monday - I drove down for the Stoke match, but now the Vanden Plas refuses to start.

Good luck to any of you attending- just mention my name if you see Bes.

:thumbup:

Last edited:
Serious question:

Why do the club host open training sessions? Is it disinformation? I can't imagine we'd be practising anything that we would actually use in upcoming games - that would be utterly stupid.

In which case what is the point of it? Is it worth losing a training session because it's content is generic just to make the supporters feel involved?

I don't really understand the thinking. I'd rather we kept training behind closed doors and maxed it out tactically.

Isn't it a chance for kids on school holidays to feel a bit more involved in the club they support?

It’s a great day for the young ones. Get to meet the players and to have a photo with them and get a few autographs. I took my son about 5 years ago and he looks back fondly of the pictures of him and the Gillingham & Cardiff manager, West Brom’s winger, sheff Wed top striker, Peterborough’s centre midfielder, shrewsburys centre forward etc……..

Serious question:

Don’t be a miserable bastard.:grinning:
It is good PR and keeps the young fans engaged with the club and occupied during the summer holidays.
They will probably not stop talking about it right up to when they get back to their Xbox or PlayStation.

Serious question:

It's just for the kids to see & meet the players close up I suppose , the training usually consists of the defenders up one end of the pitch aiming hopeful.punts to , the attackers? Up the other end with the midfielders on the half way line watching the ball sail over their heads

I watched them at the training ground last October as I live locally and I don't think there's any worry about the players missing out on a session or people discovering our secrets.

If anything they will be able to ask the kids what they do for their teams and get some tips of them.

Also Monday Is the 8th. Wednesday Is the 10th.

Serious question:

The open days are a fantastic way to show all who turn up how and why our players get injured so easily and end up on the treatment table for an indeterminate amount of time.

I watched them at the training ground last October as I live locally and I don't think there's any worry about the players missing out on a session or people discovering our secrets.

If anything they will be able to ask the kids what they do for their teams and get some tips of them.

Also Monday Is the 8th. Wednesday Is the 10th.
Tuesday is the 9th ?