Atmosphere at grounds

Shawmi

Watched Uddersfield v Burnley on Friday, atmosphere shite with 2k Burnley fans in the same stand as Uddersfield separated by 5 or 6 stewards.

Watching Watford v Sheff Utd, nothing !!

No banter between fans, no real chants, just a few claps and groans.

Just seems like the old style atmosphere at grounds is not really there, nothing like our place.

Maybe these teams recently being in the PremierShit has changed them.

Lack of alcohol is a big factor but so are all seated Stadiums, in the old days it was easier to stand with your mates and even folk from your supporters bus. Groups of up to 50 mates all standing in the terracing together allowed better environment for singing.

In some situations in seated Stadiums your sitting next to people you don’t know, they could be young arseholes or old moaning faced dicks telling fans in front to sit down etc. Its not conducive with creating a good atmosphere.

Lack of alcohol is a big factor but so are all seated Stadiums, in the old days it was easier to stand with your mates and even folk from your supporters bus. Groups of up to 50 mates all standing in the terracing together allowed better environment for singing.

In some situations in seated Stadiums your sitting next to people you don’t know, they could be young arseholes or old moaning faced dicks telling fans in front to sit down etc. Its not conducive with creating a good atmosphere.
Standing behind the cold blow lane end lower, come on Kavanagh sort it out!!!

Not been that great down the Den for a while now and i think post Covid it has been worse. The Qpr game was surprisingly shit, very flat when i expected a bit of edge to the game. Apathy since the lockdown and over zealous stewarding and grasslines for even minor slips of the tongue certainly plays a part in dumbing down a stadium. I know we're at our best when we have someone to hate so that may have a baring on things but all in all it's not the same as pre covid and we're not doing too badly either.

Last edited:
Saturday did seem to be buzzing around the ground, outside everyone just seemed glad to be back, drinks flowing and before kick off we was in good voice, scoring early seemed to lift us even more, decent atmosphere, Stoke tried but seemed well fucked off and so would I with that performance.

It’s easy to forget that it’s nearly 30 years since we left the old place and all seater grounds have been the norm in the top two divisions for that amount of time so really even anyone aged around 30-35 wouldn’t have no recollection of what it was like with terraces years ago.

We do better than most at Millwall believe it or not even it comes to generating a bit of atmosphere. Other matches nowadays especially in the premier league are played out in a atmosphere like a night out at a west end theatre with firework displays and light shows thrown in, at least down in the championship you still get the odd game with a bit of spice to it.

Not been that great down the Den for a while now and i think post Covid it has been worse. The Qpr game was surprisingly shit, very flat when i expected a bit of edge to the game. Apathy since the lockdown and over zealous stewarding and grasslines for even minor slips of the tongue certainly plays a part in dumbing down a stadium. I know we're at our best when we have someone to hate so that may have a baring on things but all in all it's not the same as pre covid and we're not doing too badly either.
I know it sounds stupid, but it seems like the majority now just want to see a good game of football.

For me it's always been about catching up with pals, having a good beer, getting away from the family and work, losing my voice cunting off the ref and oppo players and if a decent game breaks out or we win, all the better. I do accept I'm part of a dying breed.

I know it sounds stupid, but it seems like the majority now just want to see a good game of football.

For me it's always been about catching up with pals, having a good beer, getting away from the family and work, losing my voice cunting off the ref and oppo players and if a decent game breaks out or we win, all the better. I do accept I'm part of a dying breed.
When I come back from a game all croaky my wife calls it Millwall voice.

“oh, he’s got Millwall voice again”

Watched Uddersfield v Burnley on Friday, atmosphere shite with 2k Burnley fans in the same stand as Uddersfield separated by 5 or 6 stewards.

Watching Watford v Sheff Utd, nothing !!

No banter between fans, no real chants, just a few claps and groans.

Just seems like the old style atmosphere at grounds is not really there, nothing like our place.

Maybe these teams recently being in the PremierShit has changed them.
This is precisely what they want mate, in fact I wouldn't be surprised, certainly in the PL, whether they want fans there at all!

For all the reasons well stated here in most football grounds there is very little difference between the atmosphere in the ground and the atmosphere in your own home. At least at home you’re allowed to say what you like. Sound off or sound on, football is more of a visual spectacle now but without pretty cheerleaders.

Certainly in most Premiership clubs there are no fans just consumers being sold an entertainment product. If the entertainment is better elsewhere they’ll go elsewhere. There’s no passion. Why is this woke crap so successful in the Premiership? Cos the consumers by and large like it.

I have to say I thought the atmosphere on Saturday was very good.

Even pre Coronvirus I have thought It flat as you say and when It's been said on here that It has been good I have not tended to always agree.

Saturday though was a bit different, It wasn't excatly rapturous but there was an Intensity In the roar from the crowd. It was more ferocious somehow. Also there was some very welcome wit when blocks 1 and 2 started singing 'You're shit and your Dad's a cunt' to the geezer and his boy In the beige. That I found very funny. Spontaneous witty and offensive outbursts like that were often common place but are a variety now, replaced by a few repeated regular songs.

I think we all know deep down things will never go back to how It was even 10 years ago but Saturday gave me some hope that things maybe aren't as bad as they seem.

I have to say I thought the atmosphere on Saturday was very good.

Even pre Coronvirus I have thought It flat as you say and when It's been said on here that It has been good I have not tended to always agree.

Saturday though was a bit different, It wasn't excatly rapturous but there was an Intensity In the roar from the crowd. It was more ferocious somehow. Also there was some very welcome wit when blocks 1 and 2 started singing 'You're shit and your Dad's a cunt' to the geezer and his boy In the beige. That I found very funny. Spontaneous witty and offensive outbursts like that were often common place but are a variety now, replaced by a few repeated regular songs.

I think we all know deep down things will never go back to how It was even 10 years ago but Saturday gave me some hope that things maybe aren't as bad as they seem.
Saturdays atmosphere was really good. From CBL I only heard a stoke chant few seconds the whole game. You couldn’t really even hear the other stands for more than a few seconds.